Dear PhillyCAM Community,
As our country prepares to weather this unprecedented Presidential leadership transition we want to re-affirm our commitment to serving the public interest and insuring an equitable media system accessible to all people.
As Philadelphia’s public access television station and licensee of WPPM 106.5 FM, our work is rooted in protecting and promoting the right of all people to express themselves freely. Everyday we facilitate people building relationships across communities to see beyond themselves and the world in new ways through the making and sharing of independent, non-commercial media.
This act of making community-based media is a powerful antidote to mainstream media’s epic fail during this Presidential Election. This is our moment to optimize our platforms and know-how to fill the coverage void with powerful stories of change. We urge you to consider how you might want to approach these ideas through your own media work and share it on TV or radio.
Help us mobilize our transition team and use PhillyCAM as a commons for people to speak freely and organize around civic issues. In the words of Detroit activist and philosopher, Grace Lee Boggs,
“You cannot change any society unless you take responsibility for it, unless you see yourself as belonging to it and responsible for changing it.”
Here are some ways you can get involved:
- Do you want to help people to movement building opportunities, invite folks to a community event, or share a reflection, song, or poem?
Be a guest on our new show, People Power Lunch Hour, premiering Wednesday, November 16, noon–1 pm.
Watch it live online and on PhillyCAM’s channels Comcast 66/966HD and Verizon 29/30, and listen on WPPM 106.5 FM.
- Do you have an interesting event or news item for PhillyCAM Voices, our monthly community news program, to cover? Submit it here.
- Want to make your own content in response to these times? Consider becoming a PhillyCAM member and taking a class. First step is to attend a New Member Orientation. Register here.
- Do you have video content you are creating in response to the election? Consider submitting it to PhillyCAM. Contact email@example.com.
- Do you have other ideas of how PhillyCAM can fill the void in media coverage? Attend the BYOV (Bring Your Own Voice) on Thursday, December 1 at 6:30 pm.