Art Sanctuary proudly presents the 28th annual Celebration of Black Writing. Running from May 21, 2012 to June 2, 2012, Celebration of Black Writing will offer 13 days of literary discussions and workshops, music showcases, and film screenings.
Noted journalists, writers and performance artists from across the U.S. will join Art Sanctuary, Philadelphia’s leading African-American arts and letters organization devoted to presenting outstanding regional and national talent in the literary, visual and performing arts, for the 28th Annual Celebration of Black Writing Festival.
The Celebration of Black Writing is one of the nation’s longest-running celebrations of contemporary black writing. Robin’s Books’ black history month writing conference, started in 1984, has grown to today’s full-fledged festival held the first weekend of June on Temple’s campus and across the city.
Here are some of the scheduled events, for a full schedule, please visit artsanctuary.org or call 215-232-4485:
- Friday, May 25 - A public conversation with artist and cultural planner Theaster Gates and Chicago's Museum of Contemporary art curator Naomi Beckwith.
- Tuesday, May 29 - Sed Miles and the Wanderlust International travel exhibit matinee.
- Friday, June 1 - Lifetime Achievement Awards Ceremony
- Saturday, June 2 - Panels and Workshops
- Saturday, June 2 - Outdoor Festival