Media Reel Skills Fall 2018
Make media that matters. Learn how to communicate your thoughts and ideas by using video and audio to create high-quality content for multiple platforms. Join our supportive and collaborative environment of youth media makers! If you are an awesome youth, between 14-21 years old, you are eligible to be part of Reel Skills, PhillyCAM's after-school youth program. We provide access to equipment and other professional tools that help Philly youth to explore various forms of media to examine and tell their own stories through their own lens.
Deadline to apply for Fall: Friday, September 21, 2018
Participants of Reel Skills will:
- Work with and build community with other talented youth across the city of Philadelphia.
- Receive professional technical training in a creative community of peers.
- Broadcast your media on our TV channels with Comcast and Verizon along with our radio station WPPM 106.5
- Earn volunteer and networking experience through attending local media events.
- Earn the opportunity to be selected for a summer fellowship with PhillyCAM.
- Access to open media lab hours to work on independent projects for the channel.
Fall 2018 Class Details:
Mondays/Studio Photography 4pm-6pm (Fall 2018) - 10 Students Max
Learn how to be intentional about the media you create and explore different principles of studio lighting for photography. Learn to create high-quality photos and prints in a studio environment. We will edit photos in Lightroom and Photoshop along with creating your very own signature watermark to add toward a professional portfolio.
Recommended experience: Previous work using DSLR camera's, Photoshop and Lightroom.
Tuesdays & Thursdays/ TV Production 4pm-6pm (Fall 2018) -15 Students Max
Learn to create media that reflects your thoughts and opinions of the world around you. Through advanced editing and storytelling techniques using DSLR cameras, creative cinematography techniques, audio effects, and advanced post-production skills. Participant producers will create show segments for our youth media show Youth Powered Media.
Recommended experience: Previous work in video or animation recommended, video editing experience, scriptwriting, and/or interest in social justice/community issues.
Deadline to apply for Fall Classes is Friday, September 21, 2018