Deadline to Apply: Monday, August 9
PhillyCAM is a community media center that provides transformative opportunities for people and communities to express themselves, to learn from each other, and to produce and share media reflective of the experiences of everyday people. We are seeking a Communications Manager to develop and shape the voice for all aspects of PhillyCAM’s communications and adapt for our cable channel, FM radio station, social media channels, and website to ensure intentional and authentic representation of our programs and those of our extensive member community. An ideal candidate is an excellent storyteller with an interest in enhancing recognition of community media’s value and impact and raising awareness of PhillyCAM’s education programs, locally generated media content, and creative community.
General Communications & Marketing Strategy
- Setting and maintaining standards for digital content, social media posts, and overall tone, voice, and guidelines for PhillyCAM
- Identify ongoing opportunities to include and highlight members, staff, board, show guests and partners
- Lead monthly marketing and communications meetings
- Write program copy and press releases
- Work with public relations consultant to place news stories about PhillyCAM
- Apply anti-racist equity framework to communications work
Member & Audience Engagement
- Create and maintain overall digital content to support PhillyCAM’s engagement strategy
- Monitor audience and community reach and engagement
- Build PhillyCAM’s brand and reputation as a resource for community members in collaboration with PhillyCAM staff
- Work with PhillyCAM members to use their networks to promote their productions and PhillyCAM generally
- Inform members about what they can do and provide information about how to support them
- Support members with their social media
- Work with PhillyCAM staff who manage program-specific social media channels to ensure all channels are connected and supporting one another
Digital Content & Social Media
- Responsible for crafting promotions, (2) monthly newsletters and online outreach campaigns
- Integrate social media and online content streaming sites with PhillyCAM website
- Generate current and relevant content for PhillyCAM’s website and electronic bulletin board
- Post news to blogs and help producers create and maintain their online profiles on PhillyCAM’s website
- Works with Program Director and Radio Station Manager on workflow to upload video and audio content to the website
- Coordinate all PhillyCAM and WPPM social media by working with staff to come up with a weekly schedule of news and events to promote on our platforms
- Create and manage content across PhillyCAM social media channels in collaboration with creative team members (ie. designers, contractors, interns)
- Handle ongoing social media engagement with community partners, supporters, audience, and members - locally, regionally, nationally
- Tracks and reviews social media analytics to evaluate effectiveness of social media platforms, content and design
- Track and report out on the effectiveness of social media campaigns monthly
- Stay up to date on changing policies of social media sites
- Ensures safety and security of social media accounts
Design & Production
- Oversee and direct the design of major event and program branding and promotional materials (ie. Annual Member Meeting, Cammy Awards, etc)
- Work with designers and producers to create:
- Interstitials and electronic bulletin board announcements for all channels
- Short video promos, memes, gifs relating to PhillyCAM programs to support social media campaigns
- Assist with development of graphics for PhillyCAM programs, including lower thirds and basic motion graphics to support the branding of programs and channels
- Assume post-production of selected PhillyCAM initiated projects and deliver them to the Program Director for cablecast
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in media, video, communications, journalism or equivalent experience
- 5 + years experience in the media and communications field
- Excellent writing, copywriting and editing skills
- Understanding and experience with social media strategy across common platforms (ie. MailChimp, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube)
- Good visual sense and some basic design skills (familiar with Canva)
- Excellent problem solving skills, capacity to troubleshoot, and make recommendations
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse public
- Experience with marketing for non-profit organizations
- Understanding and general competency in media production including television studio production, field and post-production
- Passionate learner who is motivated to take on new challenges
- Excellent, clear communication and relationship-building skills.
- Strong interest in community media and education
Terms of Employment
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Full-time Exempt: 40 hour per week on average; may work more hours around events and deadlines, including some evenings and weekends. Anticipate work to be in person once staff return to the office with possible work from home TBD.
Reports to: Community Engagement Director
Salary Range: $50,000 - $55,000
Benefits include: health and dental insurance, paid time off, 401k options, flexible health spending account.
Anticipated Employment Start Date: September 2021
Deadline to Apply: Monday, August 9
Please Send VIA EMAIL to email@example.com with the SUBJECT LINE: Communications Manager
- Letter of Introduction (that specifies how your experience, knowledge and skills match the identified duties, responsibilities, and requirements of this position)
- Your Resume
- Contact info for 3 Professional References
Please no phone calls.
Due to volume, we may not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We will contact candidates for interviews.
PhillyCAM is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender identity, national origin, age, ability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
More About PhillyCAM:
We envision an equitable society in which media reflects an represents our communities, builds community power, and enables all people to have access to media tools to critically analyze media and to participate in media creation.
PhillyCAM provides access to media-making tools, training and distribution of non-commercial media. Public access increases and diversifies the voices in the media; it provides all community members and particularly those in underserved or disenfranchised communities with the tools to tell their stories.
Our work is guided by these values
All people have a right to equal ACCESS to media tools, knowledge and broadcast platforms
COLLABORATION produces compelling results when people build true and relationships and work toward common goals
LITERACY equips people to be in control of their interpretation of media messages and increases their awareness of the potential for media to spark change
Informed and intentional REPRESENTATION enables those who currently are underrepresented or misrepresented to see themselves embodied in media
Fighting for SOCIAL JUSTICE means disrupting the dominant structures that limit the range of voices, and dispelling the narratives that perpetuate preconceived notions and misinformation